Friday, June 10, 2005

The Squash Master

Nick and I have quite a rivalry when it comes to squash. I admit that Nick has marginally held the advantage for a good part of these contests, and has traditionally gotten the better of me, but I have slowly been chipping away at that. The tide finally turned last night.

After some lack-luster performances on my part Nick and I decided to make things more interesting by making our final game of the night worth a little more. The loser would have to buy the first round of beer. This may sound simple, but has resulted in the most intense games of our rivalry. It also serves as a barometer of our head-to-head skill level when playing at our best. Last night was no exception.

While ceding all of the first few games, I was content conserving my energy for the big match. I shocked Nick by winning the game before the big one, and was in the right mind-set. Nick jumped out to an early 5-1 lead on a few lucky shots, but I could tell my time was coming: I was in a zone. I quickly and nimbly rallied back to tie it and we went back and forth until I heroically gained a 7-5 advantage.

Nick mustered a point to crawl back to 6-7, but after an unprecedented rally that may have lasted 30 shots I came out on top. He was a little shaken by the rally, but was a little too confident that I would suffer a breakdown: not when beer is on the line.

I smartly got the remaining 2 points, and now can safely say that I am on top in the skill department. I guess I owe it all to patience, hard work, timely shots, and both on- and off-court focus. I hope Nick isn't too disheartened by this defeat. Now, I have to think... Sleemans or Stella? Decisions, decisions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home